If you do a lot of sewing or enjoy tackling tough projects, you’ll need a heavy duty sewing machine. A quick search on the Internet will show plenty of available options but only a few of them have earned consistently high ratings.
Here are the five best heavy duty sewing machines, each with their very own special features which you will likely love. The products are ranked by the overall customer rating, and in reverse order finishing with the highest rated machine.
5. Brother Sewing Machine, ST371HD Sewing Machine
- Stitches: 37 stitch patterns, 14 utility stitches, plus stretch stitches, and more
- Product size: 7.9 x 16.1 x 12.2 inches/ 20 x 40.9 x 31.9 centimeters
- Product weight: 18.4 pounds/ 8.3 kilograms
- Warranty: 25-year limited warranty
The next option on your list is both strong and tough. It’s a Brother that has 37 standard stitches, plus hardwearing needles. With 6 quick-change sewing feet, this machine will handle all fabric thicknesses and weights. You can sew material as tough as denim, or as soft as silk.
4. Janome HD3000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
- Stitches: 18 built-in stitches
- Product size: 19 x 10 x 14.7 inches/48.2 x 25.4 x 37.3 centimeters
- Product weight: 22 pounds/ 10 kilograms
- Warranty: 25 years free from defects, 5 years electrical (through authorized dealer)
If you want a very basic heavy-duty sewing machine that runs smoothly, is very easy to thread, and quiet, then the Janome HD3000 is for you. It sews very quickly and comes with lots of useful accessories, like extra bobbins, an ultra glide foot, special feet for garment weight leather and pleather, an automatic buttonhole foot, screwdrivers, lint brush, spool holders, and more. With this machine, sewing upholstery fabric and (heavy) denim has never been easier. It is hands down a machine that is very easy to use, excellent for absolute beginners.
Free arm capability (for pants legs, shirt sleeves)
Adjustable presser foot pressure (with a simple turn of the dial)
Hard case included
Included 6 presser feet (blind hem foot, rolled hem foot, overedge foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, zig-zag foot)
Sews up to 4oz of leather (2 packs of leather needles included; you’ll need a walking foot)
Automatic needle threader
Auto tension (no need to change anything between different types of fabrics)
Very basic machine
No extension table (for larger pieces of fabric)
3. Singer Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
- Stitches: 23 standard stitch patterns, with 12 decorative patterns, and other specialty stitches
- Product size: 15.5 x 6.2 x 12 inches/ 39.4 x 15.7 x 30.5 centimeters
- Product weight: 17.1 pounds/ 7.7 kilograms
- Warranty: 25-year warranty
Singer is one of the most popular brands of sewing machines in the world. This heavy-duty model is made with the Singer guarantee of excellence. It includes a motor that is rated 60% stronger than standard sewing machines. You can check out our Singer Heavy Duty 4423 Review 2018 for all its neat features and more.
2. Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway™ Limited Edition
- Stitches: 100 pre-set stitches (alphanumeric, heirloom, decorative, and utility)
- Product size: 20.3 x 12.7 x 17.6 inches/ 51.5 x 32.2 x 44.7 centimeters
- Product weight: 9.92 pounds/ 4.5 kilograms
- Warranty: 5-year limited warranty
The Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway Limited Edition is a true work horse that can handle nearly any type of thick fabric as long as you use the correct needles and threads. From upholstery fabrics and quilting projects to denim hems and thick canvas, there’s nothing this sewing machine cannot handle.
On top of that, the XR9500PRW is intuitive enough for absolute beginners but it won’t let down experienced users either. It was built for years to come. Its only major drawback is that you’ll have to pay extra for basic quilting feet like the walking foot, the ¼ inch foot, or the spring action foot. If you are really into quilting though, we recommend buying the CS6000i. (Check out our full Brother CS6000i review here!)
For in-depth info on the XR9500, see our full Brother XR9500PRW review here!
1. JUKI TL-2000Qi Sewing and Quilting Machine
- Stitches: 24 standard stitch patterns, including ¼-inch quilting pattern
- Product size: 17.8 x 8.6 x 13.8 inches/ 45.2 x 21.8 x 35 centimeters
- Product weight: 36 pounds/ 16.3 kilograms
- Warranty: Limited 5-year Warranty
One nice feature of this heavy duty sewing machine is the single pedal operation. The JUKI TL-2000Qi Sewing and Quilting Machine uses only one-foot pedal. It sews at a remarkable rate of 1,500 stitches per minute. Quilters will also find this machine strong enough to handle tough quilting jobs.
These are five of the best heavy duty sewing machines. Each of them has something that makes them stand out, but we cannot say that the perfect heavy duty machine has been invented. If you’ve tried out any of these models, let us know about your experience. And let us know about any models that didn’t make it to our list but you feel that they should be included here.
Top recommended read: