The Brother SE400 is a budget-friendly embroidery and sewing machine for home use designed to offer your projects a high-end look. With 67 built-in unique sewing stitches, 70 built-in embroidery designs, built-in tutorials, and countless design editing features, sewing and embroidery have never been easier.
Both beginner and advanced users will fall in love with this feature-rich and reliable machine. If you are still on the fence about this product read on our comprehensive review. You’ll learn more about the pros and cons, design specifications, main features, accessories and what makes this amazing machine stand out.
About the Brother SE400
Specifications and Description
- Stitches: 67 built-in decorative, utility, quilting, and heirloom stitches
- Embroidery: Yes (70 built-in designs + 5 lettering fonts)
- Product size: 20.3 x 15 x 15.2 inches (51.5 x 38.1 x 38.6 centimeters)
- Product weight: 9 pounds (5 kilograms)
- Warranty: 25-year limited warranty
- Computer connectivity: Yes (via USB)
- AC Voltage: 120V
If you are just getting started with embroidery or simply want an affordable but reliable computerized sewing machine, the Brother SE400 is one of the best choices you can make. It is user-friendly, easy to adjust, easy to use, includes all the features you’ll need as a beginner or intermediate sewer and a set of 7 super-useful feet (from buttonhole foot and the zipper one to the button fitting foot and the embroidery foot).
For embroidery enthusiasts, this is the perfect tool as it has all the right features to get you started. The machine includes a user-friendly touch screen LCD display, a quick-start guide, and built-in tutorials.
Also, the SE400 includes dozens of built-in embroidery designs and 5 lettering fonts and thanks to computer connectivity, you can import more designs from sites like iBroidery.com. So, getting started with embroidery is a breeze.
If you are mainly into sewing, keep in mind that this sewing machine does not handle well heavy duty projects although it comes with a great variety of stitches. For heavy duty use, we recommend getting an old-school sewing machine.
Some of the features that make this machine stand out are the manual thread cutter (which may seem excessive at first, but you will fall in love with later), the intuitive bobbin preparation system, and the Quick-Set™ drop-in top bobbin system (for you to stop worrying about jams or ‘fishing’ for the bobbin thread).
The product has a 25-year limited warranty. In other words, you’ll get a 1-year warranty for machine parts, accessories, and labor, 5 years for electronic parts, and 25 years for the product’s chassis casting.
Standard Accessories & Features
- Backlit LCD touch-screen display – Handy, backlit touchscreen and intuitive icons for easy navigation through the machine’s features and work in low-light environments;
- Automatic needle threader – The machine comes with one of the best auto needle threaders in the industry, a useful feature when doing embroidery and changing colors a lot;
- Automatic thread cutter – The thread cutter is a very handy feature when switching threads;
- Patented drop-in bobbin system – The machine comes with easy drop-in bobbin and clear bobbin case so that you can see how much bobbin thread is left. You’ll get a notification when the thread is about to finish;
- Included embroidery hoop – The machine comes with a 4″x4″ hoop, and you can buy a larger hoop of 7″x4″ separately;
- Seven standard presser feet – The machine comes with seven standard presser feet: zipper foot, embroidery foot, monogramming foot, buttonhole foot, overcasting foot, button fitting foot, and blind stitch foot. It supports generic presser feet, as well;
- English/Spanish instruction manual – If you are a complete newbie, keep this manual close and read it thoroughly before starting threading to avoid the most common mistakes;
- USB connectivity – This feature is handy for firmware updates and imports of new embroidery designs from both your computer and specialized websites.
- The Brother SE400 comes with 67 built-in stitch selections for sewing. So, there is enough variety to accomplish almost any sewing project;
- 3 quilting stitches included – one stitch for a hand-quilting design and two for piercing. The machine, though, cannot quilt large items;
- Various buttonhole stitches included;
- With 70 built-in embroidery designs and 5 lettering fonts, this machine is an excellent entry-level embroidery machine. Users that haven’t machine-stitched anything their entire lives reported their embroidery projects coming out perfect the first time.
Pros and Cons of the SE400
- Impressive embroidery unit for the price range;
- Spectacular finish of the finished items, when compared with competitors like Singer and Pfaff;
- Automatic needle threader and thread cutter – two extremely useful features for complex embroidery projects;
- Seven standard presser feet included; the machine accepts generic feet, which is a very rare feature for a commercial sewing machine;
- User-friendly drop-in bobbin system and transparent bobbin case;
- One-touch button for sewing as using the foot pedal for extended times can get tiring. The machine still works if the foot pedal breaks;
- Wide variety of built in stitches and embroidery designs; the LCD screen will tell you what foot is required for a certain stitch;
- LED light for a brightly lit workspace.
- The machine breaks the needle if the thread gets caught on something or wraps around the spool; Fortunately, a safety feature will lock down the machine to prevent further damage;
- 4″x4″ hoop size and the only available upgrade is a 7″x4″ hoop;
- The automatic thread cutter is sensitive to lint build-up;
- Voltage 120V (machine not recommended to be used outside of the U.S.)
Opinions About the Brother SE400
Many users have reported that, with this machine, it was love at first sight. The Brother SE400 computerized sewing and embroidery machine is user-friendly, reliable, affordable, and surprisingly feature-rich. Embellishing your home décor and clothing projects has never been easier. Plus, features like the auto self-threading needle makes it the perfect choice for complete beginners. Some newbies learned to embroider within one hour of opening the box. Embroidery can be THAT easy!
However, there are some downsides of this product, like the needle breakage issue, the small size of the hoop, and poor customer service. Also, the machine is not for heavy-duty use, as multiple users have reported. We recommend buying a more expensive model if you plan on using it a lot.
How to Thread the Brother SE400
Here’s a self-explanatory tutorial on setting up the Brother SE400 sewing machine using the built-in automatic needle threader:
The Brother SE400 is an excellent choice for beginner embroiderers and sewers on a tight budget. Despite its relatively low price, this machine comes with plenty of features and manages to offer an amazing finish to both sewing and embroidery projects that only a high-end machine could match. If you have any questions about this machine or already own one and would like to share your thoughts on it, feel free to contact us in the comment section below.
Top recommended read:
Last update on 2021-07-27 at 10:38 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API